Image: CSIC Industry Partner Summer Event 2015 at Peterhouse College
Jennifer Schooling, Director of CSIC, thanked the Industry Partners present at the informal gathering for their continued support and acknowledged the value of CSIC’s collaboration with industry that allows researchers, deployment teams and secondees access to live sites and structures where a variety of novel technologies and tools are tested, developed and improved.
Industry Partners who attended the Summer Event included representatives from Crossrail, Costain, CH2M, Laing O’Rourke, Mott McDonald, Skanska, Redbite and TfL.
A number of CSIC Research Associates presented six-minute Pecha Kuchas - Pecha Kucha translates to chit-chat and is a lively, visually-led style of slide presentation which puts the presenter up against the clock. The presentations showcased a number of CSIC’s current projects.
Jennifer Schooling said: “The Pecha Kucha presentations challenge our researchers to portray their projects in a short and pacey format that is particularly engaging for the viewer who is aware the clock is ticking. Each slide only appears for 20 seconds before automatically moving on to the next image which requires the presenter to be informative and interesting against the clock. The results are certainly worth watching.”
- Liam Butler: Bridges with nerves of glass – gathering smart data using fibre optic sensor networks. View here
- Manuel Davila: BIM plus – adding value to monitoring data. View here
- Niamh Gibbons: What are we going to do with all of this data? View here
- Jules Birks: Straining cats and dogs - dynamic measurement of sheet pile pressing. View here
- Sinan Acikgoz: Understanding structures - distributed monitoring of masonry arch bridges. View here